Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Wish me luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aha, what a day it has been. Pleasantly tiring i must say..nothing out of the usual anyway..but was kinda too busy at school, training the girls..hmm..before going any further, the Gaza massacre has tolled up to a freaking 940..very depressing..and i just don't know what more to say about it..



hmm getting back to the girls..well as i stepped into the staff room I saw pinky (hehe) sitting there..she looked up at me and smiled, a questioning look in her eyes.. it guiltily hit me that i hadn't worked on the script for the skit, i was supposed to write a week ago..well cant blame me can you, Ive been sooooooo busy juggling school, teaching and studying..it can get extreeeemly gruelling sometimes..well, with just a month left for the prize giving n distinctly aware of the acting capabilities of my girls (which would literally send Shakespeare spinning in his grave) i thought i should get the script done today..so i literally dragged pinky outta her class (after she set work) and there we sat working on the script..i needed pinky there to keep me in check, bec i have this tendency to get carried away ..so i mite have cum up with a skit that would last 2 hours instead of the allocated 20 mins..



wel, the theme for this year is "flying high" and sooooooooooo Evey freaking item had to have something to do about flying.. and the skit i was working on was about a errr pigeon family...i know, sounds real weird rite..but its quite good for kids...u know like the bed time stories..it has a moral and all that..ill enclose the script..please leave comments..bec the script is still open to changes and do bear in mind that these are kids..so there is only soo much you could make them do..

Cast:
Mother bird: Melissa
Father bird: Arthur
Two sister birds: Eliza and Mariah.
Blue winged bird : Leena

Narrator 1: Once upon a time, I far far away land, with lush green trees and high mountains..(Dreams)

Narrator 2: Errr… Can you please come to the point.


Narrator 1: um, alright... There lived a happy family of pigeons. One day a beautiful baby pigeon was born... All the other pigeons surrounded it in awe because it had beautiful blue wings... This made it stand out from the rest...

Scene opens with the girls (I mean pigeons) standing around the nest… looking down excitedly at the new born…

Eliza : Mom! Look at her flap her wings!! She is so beautiful

Mother : (smiles) yeah, she is..


(Lights go off at this point. And props for the nest scene is placed, while the narrator continues talking)

As Leena grew older, she became prettier and everybody simply adored her.. somewhere along the way, she became so caught up with her beautiful self that she started to seek pride in it...She was spoilt and stubborn and this eventually broke the once united bird family..

Lights switched on..
(Scene arrangement: mother is busy cooking, while father, sits cross legged pouring over the morning papers. and Leena is busy applying her lipstick...)

Mother looks at Leena, increasingly annoyed with her daughter’s behavior..

Mother: Oh c’mon Leena, at least have two worms! I have stewed it for you!

Leena: Please mom, not again! You’re ruining my latest slim down routine...I am skipping breakfast today...

Mother: ARTHUR!

The sound of his wife’s shrill voice makes the father bird drop the newspaper in alarm. he recovers, picks up the papers and looks questioningly at his wife.

Mother (continues) What is wrong with this child?? Your NOT getting her another copy of “bird weekly”( shakes her finger menacingly at her husband) because she has been starving herself all week to look like that flat chested birdy on the cover..

Leena throws her hands up, in frustration.

Leena: MOM! Hillary is soooo cute,,and im going to be just like her!

Mother scowls at Leena and her husband and leaves angrily. Arthur finally puts his papers down, gets up and walks towards Leena. He puts an arm around his daughter and advices her.

Arthur: honey, would you just listen to your mum. You know she is very sensitive rite? Don’t upset her, she’s just worried about you...

Eliza and Mariah enter the scene, see their dad talking calmly to Leena and roll there eyes.

Mariah: Stop being such a spoilt brat and listen to mum, will you??

Leena jeers at her sisters.

Leena : You’ll are just jealous because I am prettier and more popular than the two of you!

Eliza and Mariah: WATEVERRRRR

The sisters leave and Leena follows shortly..

Father shakes his head in disappointment and continues to read the papers…

(Lights go off again)

Narrator 2: not a great day huh? I don’t think I like where Leena is heading..

Narrator 1 : lets see what happens.

Both Narrators: DAY TWO

(Lights on. Scene opens with mum preparing breakfast…the father sits reading the papers as usual and the sisters and Leena enter. The mother then serves tea)

Eliza: we are off to school

Mariah: Il get home late Mom.. I am going to Sally’s after school.
Leena chokes on her tea and says...

Leena: ha-ha, hanging out with your nerdy friends again huh? What do you’ll do anyway? Plan how to win the next math quiz??? (Rolls her eyes)

Eliza: oh cut it out! We’d prefer hanging out with nerds rather than the spoilt, selfish snobs u call “friends” (quotes the word friends)

Leena: whatever… c ya Mom.

They fly off..

Mother: I don’t understand where this is going...

Arthur looks up at his wife, gives her a reassuring smile and says,

Arthur: sometimes things have to be learnt the hard way...They are going to be fine honey…

Scene dissolves and lights switched on and off…

Both narrators: Two years later

Narrator 1: the sisters graduate high school. .Eliza and Mariah pass out with flying colors and get directly accepted into OXBIRD UNIVERSITY… Leena’s grades were poor and she was advised to re-sit her examinations, to which her parents had agreed. But Leena thought it was an utter waste of time…she believed that future had better things in store for her… And she knew all she needed was her beautiful self and not stupid straight A’s grades..

Narrator 2: One night, when here parents were still asleep, she decides to leave home for good; in pursuit of the acting career she thought was waiting for her...little did she know how much hurt she was going to cause to herself and to those who loved her.

Leena flies into the city, landing herself rite in front of BIRDYWOOD, the most sophisticated and glamorous city in Bird land... She was awe struck by the splendor of the city. And she knew the instant she landed that this is where she belonged; among the famous, sophisticated celebrities. She gazed at a poster of Hillary that flashed brightly before her eyes. She looked down her own self. She felt plain in comparison... A bright blue paint can left in the corner of a pillar, caught her attention…She walked towards it..

Leena: This is IT… I need my feathers to match my wings and I’ll be the most glamorous star in birdywood has ever had in centuries!!! (Exclaims arrogantly)

Narrator 1: OH NO... She is going to paint herself!!

Leena paints herself gracefully and whirls around the stage in delight…( she swirls herself and enters the curtain wing and the another girl dressed in blue whirls out on to the stage. we had to get two gals to play Leena’s part, as we had no time for costume changes.)

Leena: OMG, look at me.. im soo beautiful

( she swirls around and flaps her wings and flies around merrily…then suddenly she falls.. she helps herself up , confused, and tries to fly again. she flaps her wings, but they stay weirdly outstretched and rigid. She tries to flap again. It doest work. Realization dawns on her...

Leena: o my god , I cant flap my wings!! the paint ..it has dried.. oh God,, what have I done?? Awww..it hurts.

She starts to cry…realizing her mistakes...she cries out in regret and desperation

Leena: mum I miss you! I need you now!

Scene dissolves... Lights go on and off.
Props for the nest scene are arranged. And scene opens with parent birds seated and the mother sobs while Arthur tries helplessly to comfort her...

Narrator 2: meanwhile at home

Eliza and Mariah enter.

Mariah: mom what happned?? Where is she?? We got here as soon as we could..

Eliza walks to her mother and strokes her head, trying to calm her down.

Mother lifts her head up slowly…"I know where she is.. "

Everyone look at her. “where” they chorus..

Mother: she’s in birdywood..and we are going to find her..

Narrotor 2: that is what you call mothers love…

Narrator 1: I agree

And so they go looking for her. And they find her. Alone and distraught...

Mother: Leena ( she calls out softly )

Leena lifts her head up slowly. Sees her mom…she breaks into a run and goes to her mothers open arms. She places her head on her mother’s shoulder, unable to return the hug because of her stiff wings and cries…

Leena: im soo sorry mom. I know I hurt you! And God has punished me for my vanity. Look at my wings. I can’t fly!

Her sisters move to her side and drape their wings around her..

Mother: Oh my poor baby, God,is the Most Merciful..He forgives those who truly repent…lets take u home now..


Narrator 1: so she did learn her lesson the hard way huh… God has his ways..

Narrator 2 : hehe, he has indeed. And it does not end here. So sit back, more to come.
Leena becomes increasingly depressed because she can’t fly… She starts loosing hope and the mother becomes determined to help her fly again..

Scene opens with Leena sitting on a boulder looking very sad..her mother flies beside her and gives her a hug and places her wings on Leena and tries bending it gently, as if to loosen her rigid wings..
Leena looks up at her mother and smiles…hope clouding her beautiful face…

Leena begins to sing :

I used to think that I could not go on
And life was nothing but an awful song
And now I know the meaning of true love
The meaning of the everlasting arms…

If I can see it
Then I can do it...
If I believe it
There’s nothing to do it..
I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky
I think about it every night and day
Spread my wings and fly away
I believe I can soar
I see me running through that open door
I believe I can fly...
I believe I can fly...
I believe I can fly...

I believe I can fly…..
( As leena sings the last line, her mother once again helps her bend her wings.. and this time, she is able to flap it fully.. Her mother gives her a gentle push and Leena flies away. her mother stands there gazing at her..
a smile on her lips and tears in her eyes..)

ha, so thats it..had quite a time, getting the girsl to act..it was funny in away..either they have trouble projecting there voices or they act too stiflly like robots..hehe..gues it will work out fine with practice..another thing to keep ma fingers crossed for..wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. hehe!!!!sweeet!!!n funny!!!love the narrators n the 'oxbird' n 'birdywood' part!!!awesome!!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks :) u know these kids are barly 12 years old..so the xcript had to be made as simple as possible..its nothing much ayway..but great if its sweet and funny. hehe.

    ReplyDelete